Arnold-Simonton House

Moved to Fernland Historical Park

Arnold_Simonton.jpg

Built in 1845 by Dr. E. J. Arnold.  It is of typical cottage construction with dentil trim, wide hall and wainscoating and is one of the oldest houses in Montgomery County.  The Greek-revival structure was built in 1845 by Dr. E. J. Arnold. Dr. Arnold moved from Connecticut in the mid-1830’s with his wife Rhoda Ann Warner.  They settled in Montgomery where they lived in a log house until construction began on this one-story cottage.  In 1977, the house was given to the Montgomery Historical Society by the Simonton family, moved to a different place on the property, and became the Montgomery City Hall.

 

Now situated as the focal point within Fernland Historical Park, the white house with its dentil trim features and a pair of rooms on either side of an enclosed central hall.  The rooms share interior double fireplaces reflecting a Connecticut influence.

 

The Arnold-Simonton home as recorded as a Texas Historic Landmark in 1964 and entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.0